[TYPO3-core] Adding visibility to methods and variables within t3lib_tcemain?

Tolleiv Nietsch tolleiv.nietsch at typo3.org
Tue Jun 12 10:23:50 CEST 2012

Hi,

I recently made two requests to add visibility information for all
t3lib_tcemain methods and member variables [1], [2]. Christian brought
up certain concerns that this should be discussed with the list before
it's merged. Therefore I'll give you a short explanation what my
motivation was to make these requests and afterwards you're invited to
comment on it ;)

 From my understanding especially t3lib_tcemain acts as public API to
work with records in TYPO3 (even if that changed a bit with extbase).
Therefore t3lib_tcemain should have a clear and clean API and that
should focus on the purpose of that class.

 From what I see at the moment the API is cluttered and every attempt to
refactor or clean it up can't be done without a preceding deprecation
step 6 months before the actual refactoring. I guess you'll figure
yourself why this is an issue.

For the two requests I figured out which of the t3lib_tcemain members
and methods are currently used from the outside and then protected all
others. What I see as the result is that some functional blocks (e.g.
all the checkValue_* stuff) could now be moved out into separate
classes, other methods could be turned to be "protected" with the normal
deprecation procedure and some other known-to-be-public methods could be
treated as such and receive some more attention in regards of
input-validation etc.

Still I agree with Christian, proceeding with the requests is not a
small step but I think that 6.0 also enables us to make these (slightly
breaking) changes without complex deprecation methodology.

Cheers,
Tolleiv

[1] http://review.typo3.org/11624
[2] http://review.typo3.org/11635