[TYPO3-core] Universally/Globally Unique IDentifier in core in 6.0?

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Sun Jul 22 14:46:41 CEST 2012

Hi,

To ease deployment and distribution of database records it would be easy
if they have truely unique identifiers.
This has also become apparent in a recent discussion about backend
layouts in TSconfig. One of the arguments was that it would become
easier to create string IDs and refer to them in TSconfig/Typoscript.

If we had UUID/GIDs as record identifiers instead of incremental
integers this would all be a lot easier. Import/export of record and
references in both other tables and configuration would be a breeze.

Pros:
- records can easily be transferred to other installations
- records can be distributed in extensions with virtually no chance of
collisions among installations

Cons:
- more storage space needed in database
- possible performance problems with indexes if massive amounts of
inserts/updates are done
- it's harder to use IDs manually

I checked support in databases and all DBMSes supported by TYPO3 have
functions for UUIDs. These could be used in DBAL to support usage across
systems.

What do you think?

--
Jigal van Hemert