[TYPO3-core] Discussion: Remove default columns in favour for backend_layout

Popy popy.dev at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 16:06:46 CEST 2012

Hi everybody

> Backend Layouts are great, the wizard is great. I only think the storage
> would better fit in TsConfig than i records. But I also agree that we then
> need to transfer all the convenience we have and not just remove the wizards
> altogether.

Many people would agree on the fact that we should be able to store
backend_layouts somewhere else than database.
Providing a simple hook is a way to allow this without fighting about TSconfig.

Back on the original topic, TSconfig could be a place to store
"default backend_layout", which will be loaded when no backend_layout
is selected. That means :
 * we can get rid off old layout code
 * we need only a few lines to build the virtual default
backend_layout from tsconfig
 * we need only a few lines of tsconfig to define that default behaviour
 * the default backend layout is configurable throught tsconfig

Regards,
Pierre Dudoret, aka Popy