[TYPO3-core] Discussion: Remove default columns in favour for backend_layout

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Thu Jul 19 13:01:45 CEST 2012

Am 19.07.2012 11:52, schrieb Helmut Hummel:
> Hi Jigal,
>
> On 19.07.12 11:39, Jigal van Hemert wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 19-7-2012 10:34, Helmut Hummel wrote:
>>> I also agree. Backend Layouts are configuration, thus perfectly fit into
>>> Ts*Config*
>>
>> But what is the point of having them both in records and in TSconfig?
>> Having them in two places will add confusion. Some BE layouts can be
>> edited with the wizard, some must be edited in TSconfig.
>
> I agree. Combining both ways (especially the possibility to override
> records with TsConfig) does not make much sense.
>
> We could
>
> a) Deprecate records and provide an upgrade wizard which converts them
> to TSConfig
>
> b) Make it configurable (in TsConfig?) if either records or TsConfig
> should be used.

Well - then b) is the only way to go, since IMHO its a "no go" to remove
the records and the wizards in favour of TSconfig only.

We introduced the record based backend layouts AND the wizard to improve
usability.
If they would be removed nojust to avoid multiple ways of handling
stuff, this would be a huge step back.

BTW: TYPO3 has always been famous for it's flexibility and multiple ways
of doing things in slightyl different "flavours". We often provide
solutions for average users doing the same stuff as some other more
complex solutions for the power users.

Reducing these features to just one single way of doing things will
silently remove this flexibility and therefor make things harder either
for average or for power users, maybe even for both of them.

If it's about performance a simple switch that enables either records or
TSconfig would not hurt too much. As a side effect it would reduce
confusion since it would be clearly defined then, where to get the
backend layouts from.

Streamlining things is a good idea, but we should not overoptimize
things at the expense of usability and flexibility.

Just my 2 cents

Joey

--
Wenn man keine Ahnung hat: Einfach mal Fresse halten!w
Dieter Nuhr, German comedian