[TYPO3-core] More strict convention for typoscript naming

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Sat Jul 14 00:41:35 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 13-7-2012 23:46, Philipp Gampe wrote:
>> - the old syntax is still supported, so no sites get updated and
>> existing snippets still work
> I already suggested to use an upgrade wizard (or any other migration tool)
> for this task. This are simple string replacements, because all keys are (or
> at least should be) unique.
> Only extension TS might get corrupted, but I think we can handle that as
> well.

... and TSconfig which is added in numerous places, and locations where
we haven't thought of.

Anyway, "old syntax is still supported" doesn't mean that it is
converted by some wizard. It means that you can use both the old and the
new syntax in 6.0 and later.

>> - snippets using the new syntax don't work in older versions of TYPO3;
>> inexperienced users get confused
> That might be an issue, but only 4.5 is supported for more than a year once
> TYPO3 6.0 is out.

And once 4.5 is not supported anymore all existing books, websites,
blogs and other collections will automatically use the new syntax? There
are really old snippets of TS around which still work today.

>> All in all confusion increases and consistency actually decreases.
> IMHO only for a short time.
I guess we have a different opinion here.

Customers, integrators and especially newcomers need stability.
Especially those who just start using TYPO3 tend to look up tutorials on
the web or in books and get demotivated when things don't work.
Is it really worth it to cause so much confusion just because "cropHtml"
is better than "cropHTML"?

Simply put: it's not worth it.

--
Jigal van Hemert