[TYPO3-core] More strict convention for typoscript naming

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Fri Jul 13 22:17:08 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 13-7-2012 20:11, Dominique Feyer wrote:
> This point too, we need to support the "old" synthax too.

If you support the old syntax too, the situation gets worse. See below...

> I think that consistancy in what is a central piece of TYPO3 is an
> important improvement.

It's okay for future TypoScript objects/properties, but think about the
new situation:

- the old syntax is still supported, so no sites get updated and
existing snippets still work
- the documentation uses the new syntax and Typoscript based on that
starts to break in versions before 6.0 ... or...
- the documentation mentions both syntaxes and people either use the old
syntax to be backwards compatible (extension TS), start mixing things up
or get seriously confused (thinking that TS in case insensitive)
- snippets using the new syntax don't work in older versions of TYPO3;
inexperienced users get confused

All in all confusion increases and consistency actually decreases.

Maybe the following could be the maximum we can achieve:
- use new syntax format in <some-new-name> (a.k.a. Phoenix)
- use new syntax format for new objects/properties in TYPO3

BTW I really find it great that ideas like this are discussed in lists
such as this one. Keep 'm coming!

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member