[TYPO3-core] Re: [TYPO3-core-internal] Deprecation strategy

Susanne Moog susanne.moog at typo3.org
Tue Jul 10 16:10:25 CEST 2012

Hey,

On 07/08/2012 01:07 PM, Ingmar Schlecht wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> while I like the fact that we have a deprecation strategy in general, I
> think we should weigh-in more factors when thinking about the final
> removal of methods instead of just following a strict rule of removal
> after two versions.

I think following conventions here is important for being predictable. I
would not want a case by case decision for all methods. I think 2
versions (or a year) is long enough for extension authors to keep up. To
keep the users happy we should really have a script / an extension / a
TER display for finding extensions using deprecated functions. The real
problem is for me not that there are few extensions updated but that you
can't really predict which extensions will work. I'd rather have 100
extensions that are kept up-to-date than 5000 where 4900 don't work with
a current version. Dreaming: A selector for TER and a checkbox for the
extension manager to show only compatible extensions...

Cheers,

Susi

--
Susanne Moog