[TYPO3-core] t3lib_utility_mail vs. t3lib_mail?

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 4 12:49:55 CET 2012

Hi,

On 4-1-2012 11:39, Tolleiv Nietsch wrote:
> In the meantime t3lib_mail_* and SwitfMail was introduced in addition to
> that and it seems that the effort was worthless because everything
> handled within t3lib_mail_* bypasses t3lib_utility_mail->mail and
> therefore such mails will leave the system without passing the "old" hook.
>
> So what I'd like to suggest is to get rid of t3lib_utility_mail or at
> least remove t3lib_utility_mail->mail() in favor of t3lib_mail_* but
> before I put any work into that I'd like to get input for that.

AFAIK there are some parts of the old mail functions which still use
t3lib_utility_mail, for example: t3lib_div::plainMailEncoded() .

These functions use precompiled headers as parameters and these need to
be parsed and re-applied for use with t3lib_mail*.

Once all old mail functions are deprecated we can also deprecate
t3lib_utility_mail::mail(), t3lib_mail_SwiftMailerAdapter,
t3lib_mail_Rfc822AddressesParser, etc.

t3lib_utility_mail::mail() was a good idea at the time, but with the
backport of SwiftMailer from FLOW3 it couldn't be used any more.
Every development is an effort and may be followed later with new
development. t3lib_mail_SwiftMailerAdapter was quite an effort, while we
knew that it would be a temporary solution

I agree with Ernesto that the other functions in t3lib_utility_mail
should be kept (although I'm not sure if we need breakLinesForEmail()
for anything).

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.