[TYPO3-core] Remove flash uploader in TYPO3 4x?

Philipp Gampe typo3.lists at philippgampe.info
Sun Feb 26 18:23:45 CET 2012

Hi Jigal,

Jigal van Hemert wrote:

> It won't be anything new for you, but many people seem to block this
> from their brains:
>
> - in enterprise environments neither the users nor the admins choose
> their OS and browsers. It's dictated by higher management and mostly due
> to long term corporate contracts with suppliers.
> - the "modern" (HTML5 driven) web is not of interest to big
> organisations they want a working website on their machines and on their
> customers/clients/.... machines

Granted, I guess we are all aware of this.

>> Imho the fallback (working with single uploads) is fine and of course
>> there's still the chance to release the flash uploader as TER extension
>> (assuming that the paranoid admin who stuck with IE allowed it's users to
>> install Flash).
Funny enough, must computers do have flash installed although no application
uses it.

> The fall back is not very friendly and everybody knows that a flash
> uploader or java uploader in TER will not be supported by the core team.
> Besides extensions in TER are not be considered part of TYPO3, so this
> is not really an argument for dropping support.

How often do you have to upload more then a few files?
Which other applications does allow you to upload more than one file at
once?

And the problems remain:
* basic authentication
* self-signed certificates

IMHO such a TER extension just needs some hooks and it can stay unmaintained
most of the time. As long as the hooks do not change, there is little need
to change such an extension.

> As I answered earlier, the single upload fall back is the same as
> calling a textarea where you can enter raw HTML as fall back for an RTE.

I have seen many "business" applications doing that (not having a real RTE).
At least in SharePoint (2007) you have many text only fields that do except
HTML.

Best regards
--
Philipp Gampe – PGP-Key 0AD96065 – TYPO3 UG Bonn/Köln – linkvalidator