[TYPO3-core] Commit message nitpicking...

Tolleiv Nietsch info at tolleiv.de
Sun Feb 19 09:17:25 CET 2012

Hi,

looking into most change requests in Gerrit you'll see that commit
messages turn out to be a huge playground for our dear nitpickers.

The defined commit message format [1] distinguishes between "Fixes",
"Resolves" for certain issue types and it allows "Releases" but not
"Branches" for the targets. It's not much but still people (even Core
devs) seem to run into the trap quite often and the nitpickers are happy
to show them.

Therefore there are two things I need to ask here:

1) Nitpickers - Y U NO follow "patch for a patch" rules? [2] It's soooo
easy - fetch the patch, amend the commit message and push.

2) All other Folks - do we really need to distinguish between "Fixes"
and "Releases" based on the context and are we really so square headed
to forbid "Branches" as alias for "Releases"? Do we really want to make
it so easy for the nitpickers? Are there technical reasons for that?

Cheers,
Tolleiv

[1] http://wiki.typo3.org/CommitMessage_Format_(Git)
[2] http://lists.typo3.org/pipermail/typo3-project-v4/2011-March/002115.html