[TYPO3-core] How to refer to TYPO3_CONF_VARS in the documentation (since v6.0)

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Dec 7 09:27:53 CET 2012

Hi Jigal,

> I think it would even be more useful to have documentation for a
> specific TYPO3 version (branch).
> It would be a little more work to have the documentation in the same
> branch structure as the PHP sources. "Backporting" documentation to
> multiple branches is relatively simple as git is quite good at cherry
> picking (as it doesn't look at files but at the content itself).

In a sense we always had this, but it wasn't really visible in the sense
that there was no way to easily reach older versions. After the
migration to ReST, it is still possible but not ready yet. We have made
4.7 branches for all reference manuals, but we still have to implement
some form of navigation to be able to reach them. For older versions, we
plan to have some kind of PDF archive.

> Having chapters as pages (or even smaller) with navigation to move
> quickly around the manual would be very useful.

Have you looked at docs.typo3.org? We have such table of contents now,
but maybe that's not what you mean. All suggestions to improve the
browsing experience are welcome.

> If you have to work with older versions of TYPO3 it's not very useful to
> have the latest version; you actually want the version which is relevant
> for the TYPO3 release you're working with.

See above for my answer. On top of that - as far as references (TSref,
TSconfig, TCA) are concerned - we have started adding version numbers to
properties so that readers know when a property was introduced (or
deprecated).

Cheers

--

Francois Suter