[TYPO3-core] TYPO3 CMS 6.2+1

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Dec 4 21:06:08 CET 2012

Hi,

only a comment on one particular point:

Tolleiv Nietsch schrieb am 04.12.2012 19:23:

>> From my current experience CMS won't be out of scope for a long time.
>
> Our community spends a large part of it's budget on Neos*, with that
> attitude we'll never stop splitting budgets. This can't be your desire?

It's not the community's budget, it's the budget from the TYPO3
Association you are talking about. Until now the T3A budget splitting
was rather nontransparent and the focus was only something vague like
"we need TYPO3v5 someday". If this is still the focus of the T3A members
will now be decided (for the first time) in a more or less democratic
way, through the new routines set up with the EAB and BCC for 2013.

But I can bet that up until now much more "Community Budget" was spend
in the further development of TYPO3 CMS: sponsored developers,
developers in their spare time, agencies supporting code sprints etc.
This is only natural, as most agencies / freelancers are making much
more money with TYPO3 CMS than with Flow (at least until now).

That was exactly the reason for the T3A to be created: to foster
specific new development that noone volunteerly was going to do or
sponsor. The T3A members might argue "when is it ready?" or "where is
the roadmap?" if so much money was spend. But in fact this was exactly
the way it was meant: there was no "roadmap" nor a "specification" to
follow. It was research, hard work, thrown away ideas, experiments, etc.
This was the only way such new achievements (Flow / Neos) could be created.

There are the Flow visionaries - hopefully more and more each day -
there are the CMS pragmatists that won't ever switch. There will
probably always be. I am not sure the T3A is the right instrument to
"regulate" the strategies behind TYPO3 products. I would rather make it
come out of the Community (in form of the already proposed "Product
Board", with no direct link to the T3A - see [1]). The T3A being "only"
responsible for making sure the money from the members are spend on the
"right places" or to foster stuff that "noone" wants to do volunteerly
(like maintaining a LTS, etc). It's up to the members of the T3A do
decide what to do next with the money, but this won't halt or influence
the development done by the Community.

Cheers,
Ernesto

[1]