[TYPO3-core] Migrating the system extension manuals to ReStructured Text

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Aug 24 17:26:41 CEST 2012

Hi all,

> I have discussed with the TYPO3 6.0 RM team about migrating all system
> extension manuals to ReST. This would entail the following:
>
> - migrating the manuals themselves
> - changing the EM to have links pointing to the rendered docs online
> - provide a fallback when someone has no internet connection to view the
> raw ReST files in the TYPO3 BE

We have discussed the situation again in our latest Doc Team meeting and
decided not to proceed as originally proposed, in particular since we
were unable to make any progress on that front during the last month.

We now pursue the 2 following aims:

- provide an online version of the sysext manuals, but still based on
the OpenOffice files shipped with the Core. They would be transformed to
ReST and then rendered to HTML. We would push the ReST files to the Core
as one of the first patches of 6.1.
- get familiar with the 6.0 EM to make sure that it contains the right
hooks for an extension that would be provided by the Doc Team with the
following features:
-- links to the sysext manuals as rendered online
-- links to download sysext manuals in some form (they might not be
available as PDF from day one, but we could provide an archive with the
HTML stuff).

This puts less pressure on the team. We are already quite busy with
finalizing the rendering pipeline. The above solution seems more
reasonable. We hope you will agree.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter