[TYPO3-core] New Logging API
typo3 at t3node.com
Sun Aug 12 04:45:53 CEST 2012
Some of you have already heard about a new Logging API being developed
For those who didn't:
Logging in TYPO3 is complex and painfully chaotic. At T3DD11 a workshop
has kickstarted the development of rewriting the Logging for TYPO3.
After a year of great community work a new Logging API has finally been
pushed to gerrit and is waiting for your reviews:
You can find a demo extension at:
Get it from git using:
$ git clone git://git.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Extensions/log_example
1. Activate extension in Extension Manager
2. Add the "Log Example" plugin to a page
3. Open the page in your browser
We tried hard to provide as much UnitTests as possible.
The gerrit changeset ships them in: tests/Unit/t3lib/log/
The documentation can be found as rst files in the branch
sandbox/xonx/logging of the CoreApi git repository:
$ git clone git://git.typo3.org/Documentation/TYPO3/Reference/CoreApi.git
$ cd CoreApi/
$ git checkout sandbox/xonx/logging
$ cd Documentation/Typo3ApiOverview/Logging
I have almost no experience with ReST. Can someone please support us
with rendering the rst files to something more readable (html, pdf)? Thx!
The Logging API is just the first step to move to a better Logging in TYPO3:
* Once the Logging API is merged to master, we will start to replace as
much old log calls as possible before feature freeze.
* There's also a new log BE module in the pipeline.
* Additional LogWriters and LogProcessors are planned to be released as
Extensions. One has already been started:
* We have also planned to ship a backport of the Logging API as an
extension for 4.5 - 4.7 releases.
* There are ideas to provide configuration sets for different contexts
(debugging, production, performance, ...)
* Writing a tutorial to explain the usage of Logging in depth.
TYPO3 Blog: http://www.t3node.com/
Twitter: @t3node - http://twitter.com/t3node
More information about the TYPO3-team-core