[TYPO3-core] JS libraries in the core

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Sat Aug 11 23:34:52 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 10-8-2012 10:58, Helmut Hummel wrote:
> I don't see a chance to change that before feature freeze unfortunately.

That's not a very strong argument. It was IMO clearly communicated in
the discussion about *adding* jQuery that prototype and scriptaculous
must be removed. As far as I can see it was a condition for adding yet
another JS framework.

> So the options we have:
>
> 1. Remove jQuery completely, revert all the changes that already make
> use of it and drop the new extension manager, which needs jQuery, too

If one decides to add a feature (the new-new EM) which relies on another
feature which is not finished (adding jQuery) chances are that you run
into trouble.

> 2. Win the competition of the CMS with the highest JS-Library count ;)
> and remove the usage of prototype and scriptaculous step by step (in the
> following TYPO3 releases). Removing the libraries completely would also
> have an impact of third party modules, so we would vote for a
> deprecation strategy here.

6.0 breaks things in a lot of other fields, so a few missing libraries
shouldn't be a problem.

> 3. Leave the jQuery library there, along with the API, but do not make
> use of it, thus revert all usage of jQuery we have so far. Optionally
> make an exception for the new EM, as it is encapsulated in it's own
> frame and only load jQuery in this frame.

4. Drop prototype and scriptaculous, fix the most urgent things and fix
the remaining usages as bugs.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member