[TYPO3-core] Backport of virtual tree root?

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Apr 3 19:46:29 CEST 2012

Am 03.04.2012 17:19, schrieb François Suter:

> With https://review.typo3.org/#/c/8977/2 a virtual tree root was
> introduced for users who have access to just a few mount points, so that
> they have a virtual root under which all mount points are listed.
>
> This improvements solved another issue related to workspaces: when in
> Web > Workspaces, if you click on a page, you see only the changes on
> that page or below. If you want to see all the change again, you have to
> click on the page root. But until now, users with only limited mount
> points had no tree root to go back to. This problem still exists for 4.5
> and 4.6, which have no virtual tree root.
>
> I actually had a pending patch for adding a "Back to overview" button to
> the workspaces module. This patch is obsolete for 4.7+, but still makes
> sense for 4.5 and 4.6. Unless we back-port the virtual tree root feature.
>
> Since this represents a change of UI, I would like to ask for
> opinions/authorization from RMs: would it be okay to back-port the
> virtual tree root feature to 4.5 and 4.6?

It might be considered an usability improvement for 4.5 (and 4.6) and we
still have the Backports Release pending for which this might be a
candidate for. So you might want to submit it to Gerrit (to the
TYPO3v4/Backports.git repository).

On Monday in our Release Meeting we discussed the Backport effort, for
which I hadn't had time to work on yet, thus postponed (again). Benni
argued we need shift focus more on the "newer releases", thus not give
backporting features to 4.5 (and 4.6) so much effort. It looked like the
interest in the backports wasn't that big, considering only one backport
review request on Gerrit: but this might also be due to lack of
publicity around it.

At the end we argued that at least a consistent set of Hooks (throughout
4.5 .. 4.7) would make a good reason for a backports release, thus
allowing extensions to use the hooks in a consistent manner throughout
4.5 and 4.7.

We postponed the backports RC to after the 4.7.0 release (ca. end of
May). In our meeting I also noted that this "backporting-release" is
currently only a "one-time shot". We won't do it (probably) again. 4.5
was released more than one year ago, and this gives us the opportunity
to "catch up" with newer releases. Fact is that 80-90% of new
"productive" installations of TYPO3 (in our company: 100%) are still
focusing on 4.5, mainly because of the promise for long term security fixes.

There is (currently) no other option for this wanting this long
maintainance phase. During T3DD the Core Team will for sure discuss the
future LTS strategy.

I would like to re-discuss the *content* of the backport release in our
team again, and would consider the "virtual tree root" as a "usability
improvement / fix", amongs others (i.e. page tree with selecting a page
editing some item, or keeping a branch open after closing a page-tree
filter - both of which Stefan and Jigal plan to take a look at during
the T3DD). Kind of like a "Service Pack" for TYPO3 4.5 LTS.

Cheers,
Ernesto