[TYPO3-core] Gerrit submission process for multiple branches

Steffen Gebert steffen.gebert at typo3.org
Mon Oct 31 17:08:25 CET 2011

On 30.10.11 17:48, François Suter wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Ernesto has a special script that shows the patches that were not yet
>> merged to older branches. This is a matter of time to get it officially
>> somewhere on typo3.org.
>
> True, but it definitely lacks visibility. Can you remind me of the URL?
> Where could we post it for more visibility?
I'd like to place that on an "official" server under an easier URL.
E.g. http://tools.typo3.org/, where you get an index of various, mostly
developer-relevant tools.
Have no time ATM, but I hope to get this achieved within the next 4-6 weeks.

>> What I find the best way is to push to master only with the topic branch
>> set to the bug id and the appropriate "Releases:" tag in the commit
>> message. Once it is ready to be merged, push it to the other branches
>> and merge it right away.
>
> It's true that this seems easier to manage, but it's definitely not the
> way we did it with Git at first, and - as Jigal said - I don't think we
> ever wrote that down clearly anywhere. Unless there are disagreements I
> propose to update
> http://wiki.typo3.org/Contribution_Walkthrough_with_CommandLine#Starting_a_new_Change_Request_.28RFC.29
It is mentioned there:

> Unless the patch is targeted only for a certain release branch, <release-branch> must be replaced with master. If the master branch is not affected, use the most recent affected release branch (e.g. TYPO3_4-x).
and the section "Backporting a change to other branches" starts with
"First wait until the review process was successfully passed for the
most recent branch."

Kind regards
Steffen

--