[TYPO3-core] Gerrit submission process for multiple branches

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Oct 31 12:11:28 CET 2011

François Suter schrieb am 30.10.2011 12:05:

> Did we ever define what the correct process should be when we want to
> submit patches to multiple branches? I recently submitted a patch for
> 4.5, 4.6 and 4.7 and now Xavier remarked that I shouldn't have done so,
> as it complicates the review process.
>
> I can agree with that, but OTOH I think submitting to only one branch
> entails a real risk of forgetting other branches later on. For example,
> I'm pretty sure that - in the rush of fixing stuff for releasing 4.6 -
> quite a few backports to 4.5 were forgotten.
>
> As far as I can remember we had floated the idea of using topics, so
> that all related patch submissions could be found. Then one in
> particular can be reviewed and changes requested in that one can be
> ported to the others.
>
> What should we decide?

I guess I will repeat what others have said, but I agree with this:

- only put a review on the latest branch where the patch will apply
(usually "master", but some times it is 4.5 or 4.4 if the issue is not
present in master anymore).

- don't forget to add the "Releases: " tag in the commit message telling
that this is also relevant for "4.5" (and 4.4 if this is the case), even
if the solution is different! Even if you still haven't created a patch
for older releases. This is important for the "Merged visualization"
below to work!

- if you know that your master-patch applies without changes in 4.5 (and
4.4), it can also be helpful to add a first review note stating that
("This patch also applies to 4.5 and 4.4" or the opposite "This patch
needs some changes for 4.5 and 4.4").

- as soon as the biggest release review process is finished (merged),
you (or someone else) can do a cherry-pick or adapt the patch for older
branches.

To avoid that this is "forgotten", I created this:

http://www.typo3-anbieter.de/typo3-merges/

Just check out the "TODO" entries and you will see what still needs to
be backported.

I just adapted it a bit since the 4.6 release:

- dropped 4.3
- added 4.7 and changed the script to differenciate changes that were
already included in "previous" releases (4.6 in this case)
- sorting now by "last change" instead of by "issue number". So on top
are the issues that were last merged (in one of the branches).

Stucki got this script some months ago to place it somewhere official (I
suggested: https://review.typo3.org/TYPO3v4-Core/overview/). Karsten
from the FLOW3 team lately also asked me for it, since FLOW3 will have a
similar policy regarding backports now that 1.0.0 is out in the wild.

So I expect that it someday get an official typo3.org address. I could /
would do it, but haven't got any rights to do it, so we have to wait
until the "server admin" guys do something with it.

Cheers,
Ernesto