[TYPO3-core] Reviews

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Tue Mar 15 09:00:12 CET 2011

Hi,

> any reason why the review activity is low actually?
> Any remaining problems with fetching patches or review process in gerrit?

 From a personal point of view, I'm awfully busy with other stuff.

On a more general note, I'm not really surprised. The Git/Gerrit
workflow is IMO far more complicated than the SVN/patch/mailing list one
that we had before and I would expect the number of contributors to
drop, even among the Core Team.

Git is a very good version control system. But I maintain my previous
opinion that it is harder to use than SVN and using it properly makes it
almost necessary to read some theory about it, which is not the case
with SVN. That alone will put off some people. Just look at the trouble
we have defining a proper workflow for multiple branch submissions.

The information about Git in the wiki seems more or less okay from what
I read and used.

Gerrit is another issue. Again it's definitely a good tool, but there
are several issues for me. First of all, the interface is unpleasant
(personal point of view), which - for the time being - puts me off.

Furthermore I'm still used to the newsgroup workflow, which made it very
easy to write a quick response to some easy patch. Now I have to go to
Gerrit, look at the list, figure out which patch is maybe not too
complicated and can be reviewed quickly because I have just a few
minutes spare time.

An introduction to Gerrit usage is sorely missing in the wiki IMO.

So in short:

1) I'm busy
2) the tools are fine but have complicated our workflow
3) my personal feeling for now is that I will contribute less to the
Core because of these changes, however good they may be from a technical
point of view.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter