[TYPO3-core] [GIT] Best practice with daily tasks

Steffen Kamper info at sk-typo3.de
Fri Mar 4 11:32:54 CET 2011

Hi,

Am 04.03.2011 11:01, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:
> Hi,
>
> On 3-3-2011 22:10, Steffen Kamper wrote:
>> Always commit your fixes to the oldest supported branch that require
>> them. Then (periodically) merge the integration branches upwards into
>> each other.
>
> Unfortunately this goes not well with the workflow of applying to
> development branch and then letting the RM of older branches decide
> whether it should go in that branch too.
>
> Most changes will be pushed for master branch anyway. How are we going
> to change those?

my experience showed that it leads to conflicts if you first patch
master and than try to apply a patch to older branch. The other way it
works quite well.

The merge didn't worked for me clean, so i fif it like this:
- patched 4_5 first in a branch
- committed
- created a diff file
- checkout a new master branch
- apply diff to this branch
- commit

maybe a bit complicate, but i wait for better practise to do so.
The problem is that i have to duplicate the commit message, while a
merge would take the same commit message.

vg Steffen