[TYPO3-core] [GIT] Best practice with daily tasks

Steffen Kamper info at sk-typo3.de
Tue Mar 1 23:18:30 CET 2011

Hi,

Am 01.03.2011 21:57, schrieb Peter Niederlag:
> Hello,
>
> Am 01.03.2011 20:02, schrieb Steffen Kamper:
>> Hi Stefano,
> [...]
>> So i think, it's always recommended to checkout a new branch whenever i
>> change code to work on an issue. i just was surprised by Peters skype
>> answer "Icommit to master but ... yeah ... new branch ... :)
>
> basically this was a misunderstanding within a skype conversation, where
> I wasn't precise enough.... and which started by "what do I have to do
> when I have a commit for 'master' and 'TYPO3_4-X'"...

i know - i just want to get the best way instead of pushing something
wrong again. As we have seen this is not easy to correct.

> [PLEASE DONT WORK ON THE WIKI AS IT IS CURRENTLY BEING REWORKED AGAIN ON
> ETHERPAD]
> http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-core/wiki/Git_Gerrit
> # it has been under heavy work the whole day. :->
> [PLEASE DONT WORK ON THE WIKI AS IT IS CURRENTLY BEING REWORKED AGAIN ON
> ETHERPAD]
>
> What I wanted to say is ~'commit onto the state of origin/master' (for a
> single patch with no dependencies) and push that to 'refs/for/master'
>
> [Suggested way: 'git checkout -b issue_xyz origin/master, git commit,
> git push ...']
>
> And then do a ~'merge that commit into something that is based on
> origin/TYPO3-4-X'
>
> [Suggested way: 'git checkout -b issue_xyz origin/master, git commit,
> git push ...']
>
> => this way the two patches have a dependency and you can't
> submit/accept into the TYPO3-4-X branch without the patch being accepted
> in master.

This makes sense for the most cases. But what happens if a patch, let's
say pushed for 4_5 and trunk, will be accepted for trunk but not for 4_5 ?

> IMO that would be the "most nice way" to have a commit/patch that needs
> to be applied into multiple branches (something FLOW3 doesn't really
> need until now)

yes, there are differences obviously :)

> The whole team is doing a great effort into improving the documentation,
> and just started an etherpad session.

I believe that, and i miss you!

vg Steffen