[TYPO3-core] [GIT] Best practice with daily tasks

Peter Niederlag typo3-list at niekom.de
Tue Mar 1 21:57:57 CET 2011

Hello,

Am 01.03.2011 20:02, schrieb Steffen Kamper:
> Hi Stefano,
[...]
> So i think, it's always recommended to checkout a new branch whenever i
> change code to work on an issue. i just was surprised by Peters skype
> answer "Icommit to master but ... yeah ... new branch ... :)

basically this was a misunderstanding within a skype conversation, where
I wasn't precise enough.... and which started by "what do I have to do
when I have a commit for 'master' and 'TYPO3_4-X'"...

[PLEASE DONT WORK ON THE WIKI AS IT IS CURRENTLY BEING REWORKED AGAIN ON
ETHERPAD]
http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-core/wiki/Git_Gerrit
# it has been under heavy work the whole day. :->
[PLEASE DONT WORK ON THE WIKI AS IT IS CURRENTLY BEING REWORKED AGAIN ON
ETHERPAD]

What I wanted to say is ~'commit onto the state of origin/master' (for a
single patch with no dependencies) and push that to 'refs/for/master'

[Suggested way: 'git checkout -b issue_xyz origin/master, git commit,
git push ...']

And then do a ~'merge that commit into something that is based on
origin/TYPO3-4-X'

[Suggested way: 'git checkout -b issue_xyz origin/master, git commit,
git push ...']

=> this way the two patches have a dependency and you can't
submit/accept into the TYPO3-4-X branch without the patch being accepted
in master.

IMO that would be the "most nice way" to have a commit/patch that needs
to be applied into multiple branches (something FLOW3 doesn't really
need until now)

The whole team is doing a great effort into improving the documentation,
and just started an etherpad session.

Greets,
Peter
--