[TYPO3-core] Discussion #27247 [BUGFIX] Bring back recStatInfoHooks hook in Page Tree

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 7 22:04:22 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 7-6-2011 16:39, Georg Ringer wrote:
> Am 07.06.2011 16:23, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:
>> but now we seem to have three locations for discussion.
>
> I don't know if there is one final solution yet. if so, sorry to open
>  thread here.

It was just a general remark. I personally find newsgroups/mailinglists
easier for discussions than bugtrackers/etc.

>> The hook itself doesn't add anything to the page tree, but it's
>> sole purpose is to add contents to the page tree items.
(...)
>> A good argument for legalizing the sales of drugs/weapons: if you
>> don't use them they are not harmful ;-)
>
> ... yeah why not just remove all hooks, xclasses and remove the
> backend login too because people could to bad things which could look
> ugly.

Your argument was that if something isn't used it's harmless (or has no
impact).
Anyway my apologies for being worried:
- the pagetree has received quite some criticism for being slow
- the pagetree was completely rewritten, so re-entering old code is not
something to do lightly
- the hook will be called/evaluated for every item in the pagetree; its
impact on speed should be looked at
- the pagetree was redesigned by the usability team; I would at least
consult them about changes which make it possible for extensions to make
modifications to it

>> To me this is voting for your own patch.
> sorry I just wanted to state that it is a nobrainer for me.

Sorry, that wasn't clear to me. I removed the -2.

>> Hooks are not no-brainers.
> everything true if it is about a new hook but it is not. see below.

If the surrounding code is largely new the hook code can be considered
as new.

>> Maybe it was removed for a reason? Code which has been removed
>> cannot be re-introduced as a no-brainer just because it was there
>> in a previous version.
>
> haven't seen a ticket for that and if this hook should have been
> removed, it should also be removed from: *t3lib_webpagetree.php
> *dblist_extra.inc *tx_cms_layout.php

It doesn't need a ticket. The pagetree was redesigned and reprogrammed.
If during development the code was removed for a reason there isn't a
separate ticket for it.

>> I can't see functionality which has been forgotten to implement as
>> a no-brainer.

Sorry, I meant to say that I don't consider functionality which isn't
implemented to be a no-brainer. A no-brainer is something so obvious
that it doesn't need any thinking.

> I am just developing an extension which enables btw a feature which
> is really missing in TYPO3: showing localization editors where a
> change happend in the default language.

I haven't used it in a while, but a year or two ago l10nmgr did a
marvellous job at this. It was for a site where localization editors
would do the translations with Trados and the necessary files could
easily be exported and imported. There were also possibilities to do the
translations online or with Excel files.
There even was a nice Xmas video by Kasper to demonstrate this.

It seems you want to build an alternative way. That's fine. I was just
wondering if the core should provide methods to clutter the pagetree
with additional information.

Anyway, I thought it just went a bit too fast when I noticed the
'submit' button active without any peer reviews.
After the UXW team tells us whether it was an omission or it was left
out on purpose we can move on with this.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.