[TYPO3-core] RFC #17175: t3lib_compressor should write .htaccess

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Jan 21 11:24:35 CET 2011

Christian Kuhn schrieb am 21.01.2011 01:32:
> Hey,
>
> On 01/21/2011 12:40 AM, Steffen Gebert wrote:
>> Solution:
>> Make t3lib_compressor write an .htaccess file to typo3temp/compressor/,
>> which adds the rules, which are also used in other party of the core.
>
> After a (happy!) chat Steffen:
> We'll drop this patch for now to come up with a solution in the
> _.htaccess file.

That's sad, because we have had this same discussion over and over some
years ago, and came to the conclusion that we should ship the best
working environment as default when we decided to rename _.htaccess to
.htaccess in typo3/sysext etc. Those include exactly the same Expire
headers.

We *know* how to speed up that part on Apache, why shouldn't we make
that experience the default one? Apache is the most common server (even
for newbies = XAMPP etc). If someone installs it on other servers, he
has to research how to speed-up on their own. Most Webservers provide
examples in their documentations on how to migrate Apache settings to
their owns.

Putting that as a default example in _.htaccess is not good, because it
also affects the frontend and typo3conf/ext which we don't control and
which might not want this "7 days" expiration. Only in
typo3temp/compressor we can be sure that those file never change
(because they contain a timestamp in their name).

Maybe you could reconsider this?

btw the __constructor was just writing the file when its not there
already, so only once per installation. If someone manually created or
updated that file, it won't be touched.

Cheers,
Ernesto