[TYPO3-core] RFC #16878: Feature: Make t3lib_utility_Client::getBrowserInfo() aware of more operating systems

Andreas Lappe nd at off-pist.de
Thu Jan 20 19:48:08 CET 2011

On 20.01.11, Stanislas Rolland wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
> >Problem:
> >t3lib_utility_Client::getBrowserInfo() currently misses to correcly detect
> >around 120 million iOS-devices and 60 million android-devices. Windows XP,
> >Vista and 7 are all detected as Windows NT – which is correct if talking
> >about the kernel but wrong otherwise. I'd vote for separate detection of
> >them, but it's debatable.
> If we are to add such a feature then, considering the millions of
> iPad, iPhone and iPod as all the same system is not very useful. Or
> perhaps, some new dimension is required.
> For example, WebKit as implemented on iPad or iPhone does not
> support content editing. Therefore, RTE's cannot be enabled on those
> systems.
> Regards,
> Stanislas

Hey Stanislas,

that's certainly true. As you said, a new dimension would be needed
then. I don't know about the RTE but could conditions like `browser is
webkit AND system is iPad` be used for that?

So long
Andy
--
You got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going because
you might not get there.