[TYPO3-core] RFC #17027: Deprecate safe_mode

Steffen Kamper info at sk-typo3.de
Mon Jan 17 13:22:29 CET 2011

Hi,

Am 16.01.2011 08:09, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:
> Hi,
>
> On 16-1-2011 0:36, Steffen Gebert wrote:
>>> First, deprecating means that we will still support it (sort of), and
>>> that we can refuse to support it only with 4.7 (if we keep the normal
>>> interval).
>>
>> I was told that "environment dependencies" doesn't have to be deprecated
>> or at least not for two versions (was with the Imagemagick deprecation).
>> 2-version-policy only for PHP functions.
>
> Even better! I'd say then we could:
> 1. ignore problems with safe_mode in 4.5 if they can't be (easily)
> solved. So, if it is possible with a little trouble to take it into
> account we should do that, but it shouldn't stop us from fixing things
> if it doesn't seem possible to provide a solution when safe_mode is
> enabled.

agreed.

> 2. require safe_mode to be disabled in 4.6 and later. Remove code which
> is there only for safe_mode and add throw an exception if TYPO3 is used
> in an environment with safe_mode enabled

The main point is to make user aware that safe_mode isn't support
completely and can cause side effects that we can't handle. So
"deprecating" it would be good.
As we are LTS with 4.5, i don't want any deprecation log for safe_mode,
so just a note in install.txt nad NEWS.txt that safe_mode is problematic
and isn't fully supported. People in this situation are used to hassle
with this mode anyways, but they should try to avoid setups with
safe_mode, that's the main purpose.
IM issues will be solved without safe_mode in special, the only way to
get the progress there.

vg Steffen