[TYPO3-core] FYI Added feature #17033: [reports] Notification Emails for system status updates

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Mon Jan 17 12:11:26 CET 2011

Hi all,

The attached patch has been committed to trunk in r10098

Type: Feature

Bugtracker reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=17033

Branch: trunk

Problem:
Some time back I added a scheduler task to run a system status check on
a regular basis. Although its description said something about
notification emails, those were not present yet.

Solution:
The attached patch adds the missing notification functionality to the
scheduler task.

Notes:
There's a method (the last one in the patch) getFromAddress() that tries
to determine a From address to use for the notification emails. The
reason for having that instead of another field to provide that address
was that I wanted it to be as easy as possible to set this task up by
simply providing a recipient email address.

While discussing that with some people at last friday's Bug Day we found
that this might not be the best option in all cases. Jeff had previously
come up with an RFC to introduce a default From address for an
installation. The RFC had enough +1 but then was left behind because of
worries about too many options polluting the install tool.

I would like to come up with that idea again and support the
introduction of a default From address because it's needed in a lot of
places already. Currently AFAIK the Swift mailer adapter uses
no-reply at example.org which doesn't feel right to me.

When having a setting in the install tool I would propose a method to
retrieve a From address with a fall back chain like this:

* Address set in Install Tool
* no-reply@ First domain record of the top most root page
* php_uname('n')

What do you think?

all the best
Ingo

--
Ingo Renner
TYPO3 Core Developer, Release Manager TYPO3 4.2, Admin Google Summer of Code

TYPO3 - Open Source Enterprise Content Management System
http://typo3.org

Apache Solr for TYPO3 -
Open Source Enterprise Search meets Open Source Enterprise CMS
http://www.typo3-solr.com