[TYPO3-core] RFC #17001: Spelling HTML5

Patrick Broens patrick at patrickbroens.nl
Fri Jan 14 14:49:59 CET 2011

On 14-1-11 14:36 , Jigal van Hemert wrote:
> I don't see the relationship to the brand name "TYPO3", but the reason
> for the underscore is obvious:
>
> xhtml_trans, xhtml_frames, xhtml_strict, xhtml_basic, xhtml_11, xhtml_2,...
>
> Isn't it more confusing for integrators/administrators to use a new
> doctype name without an underscore?
> I honestly don't see the reason for an extra option in two major
> versions, deprecation and the whole circus for this.

I agree with Jigal. Integrators/administrators will get more confused.
It's strange to change html_5 to html5, because that should be the right
spelling, while not looking at the other options. W3C is using XHTML2 on
their website (without the space) when the version number is not
mentioned, or XHTML 2.0 when the version is involved. Shouldn't the
other options be changed then? We are writing it wrong anyway, because
it should be uppercase.

Patrick