[TYPO3-core] RFC Bug #16966: be_layout setting "none" is not working and be_layout should not be inherited automatically

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Tue Jan 11 18:46:36 CET 2011

> Shouldn't it work like the Page template setting from TemplaVoilà?
> - be_layout works on current page and subpages
> - be_layout_next_level works on subpages
>
> So, layoutOfCurrentPage = be_layout, if empty use be_layout_next_level
> of parent, if empty use be_layout of parent, etc.

Well - this is one of the annoying things of TV.

If you want all pages of a certain branch to behave in certain way and
different from the parent of this branch, you will use "next level",
which is OK.

Now, if you want a single page within that branch to behave differently,
you will set the "layout" for this page. But using the TV way this will
be not enough, since it will automatically change the behaviour of all
subpages of this page as well.

So to get back to the default behaviour which has been set for the whole
branch, you have to find out, where this has been set and make sure that
"next level" is set to the same value, which actually had been already
set in the parent page of that branch.

And it gets even worse when you move the whole branch into another one,
which might have a different setting for "next level", since in this
case you have to edit all those single pages amd change their "next
level" value again.

The rule of thumb should be:
1. be_layout affects single pages ONLY.
2. be_layout_next_level affects a branch of subpages ONLY
    unless there is
    a) a be_layout value of a single page of that branch
       which will change the layout of this particular page or
    b) a be_layout_next_level value for a subbranch of that branch
       which will change the layout for all pages of this subbranch
3. no automatic inheritance of layouts unless you triggered them
    by using be_layout_next_level

This way you will get the desired results with less changes on different
page records, which will speed up the work and therefor improve usability.

Hope that clarifies the original intention a bit.
We just missed to implement it, which is why we have to fix it now.

Cheers

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de