[TYPO3-core] FYI Fixed issue #16857: Refine new labels in pages and tt_content TCE forms

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Jan 7 20:09:44 CET 2011

JoH asenau schrieb am 05.01.2011 11:44:
> Am 04.01.2011 22:12, schrieb Jeff Segars:
>> On 1/4/11 2:52 PM, Benjamin Mack wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> another remark on this: My collegue just noticed that the CSH labels are
>>> all the old ones, and the fields where switched from "hide" to "show"
>>> are completely wrong and mixed up now:
>>>
>>> example CSH: "If this is checked, the page will be hidden"
>>>
>>> All the best,
>>> Benni.
>>
>> I'll be handling the CSH updates prior to RC1. I've got it mostly done
>> locally, but of course we need the labels stabilized first :)
>
> So can we have a skype session or another kind of virtual meeting to
> make sure the new labels will be both, self explaining as described in
> the wiki AND proper English?
>
> After that I am willing to help with the CSH updates as well as with
> German translations.

We discussed this issue in our release team meeting today.

Reverting renderInverted feature
----------------------------------

Especially the part which adds the "renderInverted" feature and changed
those labels is not yet ready and probably too much work to change at
this time (shortly before the release). It might look ok on TCEforms
stand-alone, but it turns out every other way of editing this fields
very confusing (e.g. through the list view).

The idea is to have only the labels corrected (from native speaker point
of view) without touching the "negating checkboxes" which we have had so
far like Joey explained. This is also important in order to keep it
consistent with the semantics of the field labels ("No cache", "Hidden",
...), which are still shown on every other part of the core, e.g. List
view, where you are even able to edit them:

With that FYI applied, on TCEforms I have:

	Page > [ ] Show
	Show in Menus > [ ] Enabled

Editing it through List module will render it like that:

	Hide page > [ ] Show
	Hide in menu: > [ ] Enabled

("Hide page" is still the fields label!). This is ugly, confusing and
also simply wrong.

Apart from that, this kind of change is a no-go:

- <label index="tt_content.tx_cssstyledcontent_acctables_nostyles">No
CSS styles for this table</label>
+ <label index="tt_content.tx_cssstyledcontent_acctables_nostyles">Use
CSS Styles</label>

i.e. changing the existing label which is also used in 4.0-4.4!

In the release team meeting we decided to revert the complete changeset
because of that. Unfortunately the FYI commit it wasn't split up in
multiple commits, so I cannot pick only the changes regarding the
"renderInverted". To make things worse, there was a CGL cleanup "in
between" so the three revisions r9925, r9926 (CGL cleanup) and r9952
would need to be reverted in opposite order.

But instead of reverting everything, I took some time and
"cherry-picked" the changes done for the 8 "renderInverted" fields and
commited that "manual reversal" of this feature (and related field
changes) in rev. 10004 (see attached patch). This way we don't loose the
other nice work done by Ingo, Jeff and Mark.

Further topics
--------------------------

Changes like renaming

-			<label index="doktype.I.1">SysFolder</label>
+			<label index="doktype.I.1">Folder</label>

might require further discussions. And there were several changes which
made English words "Upper Case". Is this correct in English?

e.g.:

- <label index="list_type_formlabel">Selected plugin</label>
+ <label index="list_type_formlabel">Selected Plugin</label>

or:

- <label index="image_link_formlabel">Links (separate with commas)</label>
+ <label index="image_link_formlabel">Links (Separate with Commas, One
Link per Image)</label>

Aren't nouns written in lower cases, except if they are proper nouns?

A Skype session on that matter with Joey, Ingo, Jeff would make sense
and maybe we could have a consensus on how to further proceed before RC1
(next Wednesday).

Cheers,
Ernesto