[TYPO3-core] Move contrib/ out of typo3/

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Fri Dec 9 11:16:07 CET 2011

Christian Welzel schrieb am 08.12.2011 16:48:
> Hi there,
>
> while building packages for debian i stumbled over a problem with
> contrib/. In typo3/ there is a file GPL.txt which implies, the whole
> content of the directory and its sub directories is GPL licensed.
> But most of the packages in contrib/ are not.
> So i would propose to move contrib/ one level higher and note in
> LICENSE.txt of the "root" directory, that GPL does not apply to
> contrib/.
>
> Would this be possible for 4.7?

I think this would cause more work than benefits. There are extra
GPL.txt files in t3lib/ and typo3/ directories probably because one
might copy them separately into the DocumentRoot of the Webserver, thus
the root-folder GPL.txt might get missed.

If you create a Debian package, can't you just include all relevant
licensing information in the debian's "copyright" file? What does it
matter if typo3/ and typo3/contrib/* has different license files
(considering that they are all GPLv2 compatible, of course)? Where does
the Debian Policies say that this is not permitted? I have not found
anything about it in my quick research.

Cheers,
Ernesto

--