[TYPO3-core] Additional branches on Git

Xavier Perseguers xavier.perseguers at typo3.org
Thu Apr 7 08:58:53 CEST 2011

Hi,

>> The Challenge is to setup the infrastructure to manage all this
>> (creation of reps, teams and permissions). Until we really have the
>> urgent need or a reason to host this somewhere within typo3.org

We have enough to do without this.

>> infrastructure I'd really encourage everybody to go for github.com.
>> TYPO3v4/Core.git is already there (just renamed/relocated for
>> consistancy)...
>>
>> https://github.com/typo3/TYPO3v4-Core

Fine.

>> Actually even eclipse seems to go that route, have the official repo
>> within ecplise infrastructure but provide an official mirror on github
>> to allow "forks for the masses". ;)
>> http://aniszczyk.org/2011/04/01/eclipse-org-and-github/
>
> Great! I would say that this is the way to go for the mid-term future of
> developing new features.
>
> Maybe as soon as someone starts doing it, he can record his experience
> and "this is how we do it" so that we can complete this part also in our
> Wiki.

Perfect!

Something that should be described even if it is already "implicitly" on
[1] is the patch enhancement workflow:

- Currently we have info how to get a patch and possibly enhance it and
then publish the new patch set to Gerrit. Fine

- What I miss here is, as author of the original patch or from another
one, how I may publish a patch, get some comments on it, update it
locally and before I publish it again, someone did that already and thus
"merge" the new patch with mine possibly keeping additional stuff I had.

- Another possibly more real use case is that I'm the author, I publish
it, then do not care for it for, let's say 1 week, come back, see that
there are new patches available, get the latest one and go on.

Of course I may delete it locally and start from a "fresh" base but it
may not be optimal and, as said, this may help many people to have this
additional use case described there. Will see if I have such a case to
document it properly without (partly) wrong assumptions.

[1] http://wiki.typo3.org/Contribution_Walkthrough_with_CommandLine

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6