[TYPO3-core] Additional branches on Git

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Apr 6 17:18:50 CEST 2011

Peter Niederlag schrieb am 06.04.2011 16:00:

> Sandboxes is really rather something for personal use, just to quickly
> and easily shelf (and unshelf) something. One example would be develop
> patch at work, which is not yet finished and you want to save it
> somewhere where u can pick it up from desktop at home.
>
> Sandboxes IMO are NOT suited for mid term team driven feature
> development (as write permissions are for sandbox owner only).

Perfect explanation, so I guess the use-case of Sandboxes are different
than I supposed it to be. Good to know.

>> Or we just use github.org with all the benefits that it provides, but
>> then it's not in "our hand" (which I don't oppose per se, but we have
>> also moved from SF.net>  Forge in the past ago for a reason).
>
> But we started on SF.net at first, so we could just start using github
> as it:
> * is available as of today
> * provides all the necessary infrastructure (teams, permissions,
> sharing, ...)
>
> The Challenge is to setup the infrastructure to manage all this
> (creation of reps, teams and permissions). Until we really have the
> urgent need or a reason to host this somewhere within typo3.org
> infrastructure I'd really encourage everybody to go for github.com.
> TYPO3v4/Core.git is already there (just renamed/relocated for
> consistancy)...
>
> https://github.com/typo3/TYPO3v4-Core
>
> Actually even eclipse seems to go that route, have the official repo
> within ecplise infrastructure but provide an official mirror on github
> to allow "forks for the masses". ;)
> http://aniszczyk.org/2011/04/01/eclipse-org-and-github/

Great! I would say that this is the way to go for the mid-term future of
developing new features.

Maybe as soon as someone starts doing it, he can record his experience
and "this is how we do it" so that we can complete this part also in our
Wiki.

Cheers,
Ernesto