[TYPO3-core] Additional branches on Git

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 4 14:14:01 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 4-4-2011 13:22, Björn Pedersen wrote:
> Am 04.04.2011 11:45, schrieb Ernesto Baschny [cron IT]:
>> [1] http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/
>
> http://reinh.com/blog/2009/03/02/a-git-workflow-for-agile-teams.html

Most stories about Git (also about scrum BTW) deal with a product where
one version follows the next in a linear way.

The challenge with adapting things for TYPO3 is that we currently have a
development line (trunk/master) which will become the next major
release, but also provide support for three older versions.

Patches have to be applied to a mix of versions. Sometimes they are easy
to apply (code not changed between versions), sometimes a bit harder
(code changed), sometimes really complicated (code completely rewritten)
or even impossible.

With 4.5LTS it will even result in the situation that later versions
will not be supported any more while the LTS version is still alive
(assuming 4.x is still around in 2014).

Yesterday I found that I couldn't apply a change in master (by fetching)
into 4_5 without getting all kinds of extra code also. This indicates
that it will take quite some effort to make a working model for these
kind of advanced branching situations between the supported TYPO3 versions.

Making a release branch at feature freeze would be a nice idea.
Development could even continue in some areas, while bugfixing takes
place in this branch. After the release the release branch can be
removed. It only requires reliable, automatic merging from release
branch into development branch (in our case in Gerrit) or a lot of extra
manual work.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.