[TYPO3-core] How to push to a topic branch

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Apr 1 11:35:59 CEST 2011

Steffen Kamper schrieb am 01.04.2011 11:18:
> Hi,
>
> i would add that topic is the issue number. If we use topics, we should
> use it only this way, so noone starts with some fantasy topics :)
>
> And - topics should be used if patches should go to older branches too.
> So this is an additional marker for this, even patches are not pushed at
> this time.
>
> so, issues without topic: master omly
> issues with topic: master + older branches

What if we later want to group issues based on certain "new major
feature"? For example all changes related to merging major new feature
"XY" to the core? I would also use Gerrit's topics for that.

Since also "major features" should have an issue number in Forge, its no
problem to use this number. But then it would conflict with the rule you
suggest for having the topic only for "bug fixes" (which will also be
applied to older branches).

So I would add the topic to all changes for consistency, and have the
information that this change should also go to older branches in the
issue tracker (in the description for example).

Cheers,
Ernesto