[TYPO3-core] RFC: #15966: Enable debug mode in BE

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Oct 12 11:44:24 CEST 2010

Georg Ringer schrieb am 12.10.2010 11:30:
> Am 12.10.2010 10:41, schrieb Steffen Kamper:
>> Because this flag is used for develop only i didn't added it to
>> config_default, so you can't set it with install tool. This is done for
>> the reason that user don't set it by accident.
>
> -1 for that because of the following reasons:
> * This can be set only by an admin (or a user who has access to the
> install tool), therefore this is not just a normal "user".
> * Every configuration needs an explanation and a place to set it. There
> are already too many hidden/special features which can only be set by
> knowing the correct name
> * I don't want to remember all possible configurations but wanna look it up
> * If it is hidden to avoid accidents, better hide the settings for
> Imagemagick and DB access too as there can be severe consequences if
> doing the wrong thing.  <sarcasm> Same for setting the new password
> because if set, you need to remember the password </sarcasm>
> * If it is 0 or 1, check for == 1 and not > 1 or is it planned to have
> multiple values?

I agree, we need to have all settings in config_default, else we don't
have any central place where to look it up. Undocumented features are
not good. Doesn't harm at all to have it in the Install Tool, does it?

In an "install tool refactoring" I expect to be able to filter out
certain settings that are not interesting to configure through the UI.

While debug is just a boolean, compare with "==", else it gets confusing
if someone looks at the code.

Cheers,
Ernesto