[TYPO3-core] FYI: Added feature #15885: htmlArea RTE: Add option to remove typographical punctuation (Thanks to Daniel Schwarzloh)

Stanislas Rolland typo3 at sjbr.ca
Mon Oct 4 05:09:48 CEST 2010

FYI: The attached SVN patch was committed.

Type:
Feature

Problem:
Quoting Daniel Schwarzloh:
«Using 'rtehtmlarea' as our main texteditor in TYPO3, we asserted that
our editorial department frequently pastes text from MS Word into the
RTE. For various reasons, we decided to replace some of the
typographical punctuation MS Word uses by default - such as 'curly
quotes', 'guillemets', 'ellipsis', 'hyphen' etc. - with ASCII characters.»

Solution:
«Therefore we extended the JavaScript used by the plug-in 'RemoveFormat'
to include an additional checkbox in the popup window to replace
typographical punctuation with their ASCII representation.

Talking to other TYPO3 developers, we were struck that this additional
functionality of text cleanup might be useful for others as well.»

Note:
Many thanks to Daniel Schwarzloh for sharing this work.

Bugtracker references:
http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15885

Branches:
trunk (revision 8945)