[TYPO3-core] RFC: #12376: typo3temp got filled with thousands of javascript_* files

Lars Houmark lars at houmark.com
Sun Oct 3 22:06:44 CEST 2010

Hi Jigal,

> That will happen when the discussion takes place in the bugtracker
> instead of the core list...

I agree, which I why I took it here.

> I did a debug($this->result) in extProc_init() and all it produced was a
> list of wraps (allWrap and ATagParams). I don't think this is enough to
> base the uniqueness of the js file on.

The unique name is not for the JS file uniqueness in total, but for the
menu (replacement to layer_menu_id) that is being referenced inside the
JS file. I also did a debug and it showed the main TS code for the menu,
which should be enough for the uniqueness needed.

> I've noticed more bug reports about "temporary" files depending on
> certain content. It looks like it has been used as a caching mechanism.
> One essential part of a cache to me is garbage collection. This file
> based mechanism lacks garbage collection. I'd rather see a more generic
> solution for these "temporary" files, preferably including garbage
> collection to prevent flooding the file system with unused files.

Yes, I would say one of the major pitfalls of TYPO3 these days, is that
TYPO3 creates a lot of temporary files which grows temporary folders by
the minute, but there has been very little effort in automatic garbage
collection. I know the install tool does some (manually though), but
with 1,8 million files, the install tool is more or less crashing the
server when loading the "Cleanup" menu.

In this case, it looks completely overkill to focus on garbage
collection first though (letting it create a new file on almost every
page view and then deleting it later), we should fix the buggy function
first and make sure TYPO3 is creating temporary files in the way it was
intended.

- Lars