[TYPO3-core] RFC #16318: Enable FlashMessages to fade out after delay

Steffen Gebert steffen at steffen-gebert.de
Sun Nov 14 23:35:04 CET 2010

Hi Ingo,

> Right, the jumping content doesn't feel ok, but using fadeOut() instead
> of the ghost() effect solves that issue.
Without the parameter {remove: true}, the space appears white - with the
parameter, the content jumps. Other possibilities?

>> Another thing: Adding this functionality to the FlashMessageQueue
>> applies it only to sessionStored messages, doesn't it? So messages,
>> which are outputted directly, would not disappear - resulting in some OK
>> messages staying and some disappearing.
>
> This is an intended behavior. If you apply the effect to all messages
> you also make those used within pages like the install tool fade out,
> you don't want that.
Okay, I agree that this is not a solution^^
However I dislike different behavior for the same thing, saying
"everything went fine".

> Admittedly, the queue is not used consistently yet, but that's on my
> list. The queue should be used for cases when you show messages to
> confirm the success of an action or reporting a failure of that action.
> In these cases they need to survive a request, thus the queue and
> storage in session.
Yes, but for FlashMessage, which don't have to survive a request, we
shouldn't always (have to) use the queue, don't we?

> I don't know why they were introduced, wasn't my idea. Are they actually
> used in the core at all or is this an issue of "because we can"? Maybe
> we should remove them again?
No, searched for it, found nothing. I think it's "because we can" :)

Kind regards
Steffen

--
Steffen Gebert