[TYPO3-core] RFC #16318: Enable FlashMessages to fade out after delay

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Sun Nov 14 23:06:08 CET 2010

Steffen Gebert wrote:

Hi Steffen,

> Also after testing: I think this behavior is more annoying than having
> the messages visible all the time. Making the content jump upwards after
> 5 seconds is IMHO bad behavior.

Right, the jumping content doesn't feel ok, but using fadeOut() instead
of the ghost() effect solves that issue. I just didn't create a new
version of the patch as I mentioned that in a separate mail already.

> Another thing: Adding this functionality to the FlashMessageQueue
> applies it only to sessionStored messages, doesn't it? So messages,
> which are outputted directly, would not disappear - resulting in some OK
> messages staying and some disappearing.

This is an intended behavior. If you apply the effect to all messages
you also make those used within pages like the install tool fade out,
you don't want that.

Admittedly, the queue is not used consistently yet, but that's on my
list. The queue should be used for cases when you show messages to
confirm the success of an action or reporting a failure of that action.
In these cases they need to survive a request, thus the queue and
storage in session.

> What I still don't get: Why are the JS FlashMessages something
> different? They look the same, so from a user side, they *are* the same
> as the "static" message (besides the fact that they fade in from top:0
> and they fade out again).

To me they are rather notifications which could be coming from anywhere
in the system at any time, asynchronously. Think of the notifications in
operating systems, usually in form of a bubble in one corner of the screen.

However, we do not use something like that in the core yet AFAIK.

The flash messages on top of a page have a relation to that content or
an action and are synchronously linked with those.

I hope this helps to understand the difference, I know it's a little
tricky though.

> For what are they supposed to be used?

I don't know why they were introduced, wasn't my idea. Are they actually
used in the core at all or is this an issue of "because we can"? Maybe
we should remove them again?

best
Ingo

--