[TYPO3-core] RFC #15668: Bug: TYPO3 Backend should display flags for translations as sprite icons

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Sun Nov 14 18:45:23 CET 2010

Steffen Ritter schrieb am 14.11.2010 09:59:
> Am 14.11.2010 02:47, schrieb Ernesto Baschny [cron IT]:
>>    1. TCEform: when editing be_users "limit to language" ACL (TCA
>> type=select, special=languages, renderMode=checkbox)
>>    2. TCEform: when editing a translated element, the "original language"
>> flags displayed below each field
> hey ernesto, in Stuttgart i wrote an patch only tranforming TCEForms to
> finally support sprites. SInce this is a "Bugfix" - all other icons are
> already replaced - this is not put to this list before feature freeze
> (but present in bugtracker already).
> So I'm definetly -1 to your TCEforms changes.
>
> There is an "fallback" to normal grafic elements implemented, which
> defenitely won't work with your SPRITE: annotation... this is a ugly hack.
>

> Furthermore the langauge label has been introduced for a reason... It
> does not work without it correctly. The "old language label" is only
> present in list-module (if i remeber correctly). Since I streamlined the
> usage and building of the array and now, the label is present through
> all modules, the label would dissappear at other points... That's why I
> introduced it at locallang_general to have a point where it resides,
> possible to use for all. --> this does not work correctly
>

> To sum this up:
> -1 by reading, -1 by testing, -1 concept
>
> I'm for rather dropping the whole Sprite-Flag top then dooing this...

Steffen, but then you need to come up with an alternative since the
flags are broken on those places in current trunk, which is ugly and not
good especially since we will be release on Wednesday.

If you have the patch there, why haven't you referred to it yet in your
propositions? We now have an incomplete solution. Either we have a
complete solution or we revert 15666 again to make it work again.

TCEforms already works with sprites on most places, only the "getIcon()"
which gets their items from external places is missing. My "SPRITE:"
suggestion was meant to make the "items provider" able to signalize that
the icons are in fact sprites. We cannot change the existing API because
extensions are adding icons directly until now. So maybe you could
explain your concept in the RFC which are part of a bigger process, else
we have no way of guessing it.

I would be glad if you could find the time to provide some alternative
in the next days.

Cheers,
Ernesto