[TYPO3-core] RFC #16376: Feature: New TYPO3_DB method for select queries that fetch data from up to 3 tables based on RDF like triples

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Sun Nov 14 00:53:30 CET 2010

Marcus Krause wrote:
> Hi!
>
> JoH asenau schrieb am 11/13/2010 07:07 PM Uhr:
>
>> Solution:
>> Attached patch introduces the new TYPO3_DB method
>>
>> exec_SELECTgetRowsByTriple
>
> Although I can understand that you want to have an easy to use API
> method for SCOTTY, such method does not fit in t3lib_db at all.

This is not just for SCOTTY but for any relation that uses more than just two tables.
We talked with the FAL team about a similar method and even DAM could make use of it.

This is why this universal method should go into TYPO3_DB, while the more RDF specific API stuff should be provided by SCOTTY.

> This means explicitly a -1 from me on this feature!
>
> Why that:
>
> take e.g. the method name:
> "exec_SELECTgetRowsByTriple"
>
> Term "Triple" is not defined in database management system context.
>
> IMHO, a general rule might be:
> t3lib_db contains wrapper on methods that are provided by PHP's
> mysql/mysqli extensions. Terms "Triple" and "RDF" do not appear in
> this methods.

Neither does exec_SELECT_mm_query, but this is part of TYPO_DB as well.

The comment in the beginning says:
* Contains the class "t3lib_db" containing functions for building SQL queries
 * and mysql wrappers, thus providing a foundational API to all database
 * interaction.

So I don't think that this argument counts here, since TYPO3_DB is meant to give developers a unified set of
database functions to have them easily access single or multiple records based on different principles.
One of these principles is called triple storage, and this is not just related to RDF and the like, but just a relation between two records based on a type defined by a third record.

Of course these functions take the wrappers for PHP's mysql/mysqli extensions into account as well, but as my example and the comment shows, this is not the only purpose of TYPO3_DB.

So maybe you can think it over again

Cheers

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian