[TYPO3-core] RFC #7942: Enable UTF-8 by default

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Fri Nov 12 08:45:44 CET 2010

Am 11.11.2010 23:11, schrieb Michael Stucki:
> Hi Dmitry,
>
>> setDBinit is not just for character sets. It can other SESSION
>> variables. By deprecating it, you force usage of XCLASSes for such
>> simple stuff as setting database-specific variablres that cannot be set
>> in my.ini because they will affect all databases.
>
> You are right and we've been aware of this. The reason why we think it
> can be dropped is that 1) the feature was only added for solving the SET
> NAMES issue, and 2) we don't know of any other use cases for this feature.
>
> If setDBinit should be kept then we need to parse the content every time
> in order to see if SET NAMES or SET CHARACTER SET is defined inside...

Why would we have to parse it *every* time? We don't have to parse it at all *. Just make the real
charset check in the EM and in the system reports module. Another possible location for a check is
the start-up screen of an admin.

Masi

* The check in isConnectionUtf8 is an unnecessary over-optimization. Ask the server, if you want to
know about the server.