[TYPO3-core] RFC #7942: Enable UTF-8 by default

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Thu Nov 11 23:11:00 CET 2010

Hi Dmitry,

> setDBinit is not just for character sets. It can other SESSION
> variables. By deprecating it, you force usage of XCLASSes for such
> simple stuff as setting database-specific variablres that cannot be set
> in my.ini because they will affect all databases.

You are right and we've been aware of this. The reason why we think it
can be dropped is that 1) the feature was only added for solving the SET
NAMES issue, and 2) we don't know of any other use cases for this feature.

If setDBinit should be kept then we need to parse the content every time
in order to see if SET NAMES or SET CHARACTER SET is defined inside...

> Example. Some sites could be critical, while others are not. Thus I can
> use different session parameters (timeouts, etc) for those sites. How do
> I do that without setDBinit? There is no way except for XCLASS.

To be honest, I think it's a situation that nobody uses. I can follow
your example, but do you really use it anywhere in practice?

> -1 to deprecation of setDBinit as it is seriously lowers database tuning
> for each host.

Any other opinions?

- michael
--