[TYPO3-core] RFC: #16228: [Feature] TCA tree

Steffen Ritter info at rs-websystems.de
Wed Nov 10 14:09:59 CET 2010

Am 10.11.2010 10:29, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:
> Yes, think about symbolic / hard links (directory junctions on windows)
> in a file system. Same file(s) in two positions.
not it's a second "file just carrying an reference to another"

leaving trees going to graphs you have to care about so many problems
(in theorie, in backend, in tree rendering, in logic and in performance)
that there is a sense why trees are trees and not "graph with startingNode".
Everybody really knowing what he does, for sure might extend the
tca-tree example - it should be much less effort than before.
But for those who don't, it makes sense to not allow "bad stuff / bad
style" if they would not be able to deal with the results...

Just imagine bug report: tca tree usage results in blank backend, user
did not anything wrong  - as always - some days of discussion and the
result ist: shit, he build several circles which - on rendering as a
tree results in some endless loops :)

A tree ever will be a tree - what this means is noted at enough places,
and what theory, technigques, gains and problems come with this, too. I
do not think it makes sense to discuss that here...

People who know about it, will be fine, others would not care either and
insist "but i need it"...
As said, everyone is free to build an "tcaGraph", "tcaCloud",
"tcaForrest" rendering for relations if you wanna render
non-tree-structures ;)

This one really is - and should stay - what it tells: A tree.
There is space for improovements, and planned improovements.
But as it is meant to be as "guiding example" for tree-API, it should
really be an example and not "we can do other ugly stuff with many
potential risks with it which could work in some cases/small cases".

Even if there are places where this could be used in TYPO3 - within new
stuff we should not repeat wrong decisions we earlier take, just to
support them. THis way, we never would improove TYPO3.

regards

Steffen