[TYPO3-core] RFC #7942: Enable UTF-8 by default

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Wed Nov 10 13:55:50 CET 2010

Hi Michale,

>> This magic is great but what about non-MySQL databases where "SET NAMES
>> utf8" does not make sense?
>
> That is an interesting question and we should probably discuss it on
> Skype some time soon. Basically, I assume that other DBMs use utf-8
> already by default:

That's not always the case (MSSQL for instance who traditionally creates
database using cp1252 - I did a recent install with SQL Server 2008 and
this was shown as default choice...)

> If this is the case, then it's easy: You just make sure that
> forceCharset is set to UTF-8 and setDBinit is empty.

Yes. I had a quick look at the part of the message I quoted and without
reading more, I thought that code was searching for this string to
activate the "is utf8" flag.

> If not, then you need to adapt the checks from this patch to make them
> work with Oracle&  co.
>
> Notice that setDBinit has been introduced only to specify "SET NAMES" on
> MySQL. Because of this we are going to drop it again now that the issue
> is fixed (see config_default.php, where it is now marked as deprecated).
> However, if you have other uses for setDBinit and think we should keep
> it, then you must step up now so we check out for another solution...

No, I don't need it, but I'll have to make some additional tests on
different DBMS in the next weeks to be sure all is working properly.

Cheers
Xavier