[TYPO3-core] RFC #7942: Enable UTF-8 by default

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Wed Nov 10 13:46:00 CET 2010

Hi Xavier,

> This magic is great but what about non-MySQL databases where "SET NAMES
> utf8" does not make sense?

That is an interesting question and we should probably discuss it on
Skype some time soon. Basically, I assume that other DBMs use utf-8
already by default:

If this is the case, then it's easy: You just make sure that
forceCharset is set to UTF-8 and setDBinit is empty.

If not, then you need to adapt the checks from this patch to make them
work with Oracle & co.

Notice that setDBinit has been introduced only to specify "SET NAMES" on
MySQL. Because of this we are going to drop it again now that the issue
is fixed (see config_default.php, where it is now marked as deprecated).
However, if you have other uses for setDBinit and think we should keep
it, then you must step up now so we check out for another solution...

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out