[TYPO3-core] RFC #14490: New Backend design

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Fri May 28 22:44:06 CEST 2010

>> Sorry guys, but this clearly shows that CSS3 is still far from being
>> a "standard" and I still vote against it's use in a the backend.
> AFAIK "filter:" is also not a standard, and we use it as well.

Just because somebody decided to have transparent png-based icons, which is
not necessary at all.
But since we now have to deal with them, filter unfortunately is the only
acceptable workaround for IE6.

> IE-8
> compatibility meta tag is also not a standard and we include it as
> well.

Which is something we have to get rid of as soon as possible, because this
is removing symptoms (i.e. sporadic logouts) without removing the cause
(invalid HTML, CSS and JS code) and it will lead to serious trouble as soon
as IE9 will be out. We already take care of that in the BCC team, so
hopefully we can remove it again in 4.5 or so.

> Maybe we should see the "-moz-box-shadow" like a "fallback" for
> the modern browsers for features like the dropshadow, just like a
> separate stylesheet for IE and "browser hacks" are workarounds ;-)

> For me, the most practical workflow for the new skin right now would
> be:
>
>   * Commit v8 of this patch to the core
>   * Do lots of testing, fix the critical bugs with the changes, as
> followups, as there are so many things that still need to be done.
> (yes, I know that there are people willing to fix it if it's possible
> in a reasonable amount of time)
>   * Volunteers who want to have the 100% exact same BE on all
> browsers, can easily create patches to bring these visual gimmicks to
> IE6, while others can fix the rest of the styling issues.
>   * Release beta3 on monday morning
>   * Keep on fixing things, "completing" the new styling in smaller
> patches that are easier to review

Hey man, you are the release manager - so it's your decision, that I am
definitely not going to undermine.  ;-)
Still the policy should be: If you can achieve something with hacks and
workarounds only, don't do it!

Cheers

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian