[TYPO3-core] RFC #14490: New Backend design

Benjamin Mack benni at typo3.org
Fri May 28 21:19:45 CEST 2010

Hey,

On 28.05.10 19:30, JoH asenau wrote:
> And IMHO it's a no go to have 3 different ways of CSS3 styling for just one
> feature.
> box-shadow: 0px 1px 3px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.3);
> -moz-box-shadow: 0px 1px 3px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.3);
> -webkit-box-shadow: 0px 1px 3px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.3);
>
> Sorry guys, but this clearly shows that CSS3 is still far from being a
> "standard" and I still vote against it's use in a the backend.
AFAIK "filter:" is also not a standard, and we use it as well. IE-8
compatibility meta tag is also not a standard and we include it as well.
Maybe we should see the "-moz-box-shadow" like a "fallback" for the
modern browsers for features like the dropshadow, just like a separate
stylesheet for IE and "browser hacks" are workarounds ;-)

Anyways, I still respect your -1, but I feel like we should actually
include this patch as soon as possible, as these discussed issues
(box-shadow, gradients etc) are not really a lot. If someone has a
better idea or wants to remove these features and has enough +1s, then
he can create a patch and remove these styles for modern browsers again
or come up with a better idea. I just can't justify the amount of time
for the whole thing, where others have a hard time applying the patch
and fixing CSS issues with it etc.

For me, the most practical workflow for the new skin right now would be:

  * Commit v8 of this patch to the core
  * Do lots of testing, fix the critical bugs with the changes, as
followups, as there are so many things that still need to be done. (yes,
I know that there are people willing to fix it if it's possible in a
reasonable amount of time)
  * Volunteers who want to have the 100% exact same BE on all browsers,
can easily create patches to bring these visual gimmicks to IE6, while
others can fix the rest of the styling issues.
  * Release beta3 on monday morning
  * Keep on fixing things, "completing" the new styling in smaller
patches that are easier to review

It's just hard to do a community effort when this beast is pending in
the list.

All the best,
Benni.