[TYPO3-core] RFC #14490: New Backend design

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Fri May 28 19:30:34 CEST 2010

1   * Keep CSS3 styles, and have the fallbacks for IE (doesn't recoginze
> the CSS3 statements)
2   * Keep CSS3 styles, add a separate stylesheet for IE and have it
> there done with backgrounds etc
3   * Make everything with backgrounds, additional markup may be needed.
4   * Add the missing CSS-features dynamically through JS (if possible)
> for the browser who don't support it.
5   * Remove the CSS3 styles, not going with any of the new visual
> features from the designers

Can you tell me where to find these new visual features?
Currently the new design is looking quite good but very CSS2 to me, except
some very small rounded corners for the tab-menu.

IMHO being IE6 compatible doesn't mean to make the BE work "somehow", it
should have almost the same look and feel for any user no matter which
browser is used as a client.

And IMHO it's a no go to have 3 different ways of CSS3 styling for just one
feature.
box-shadow: 0px 1px 3px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.3);
-moz-box-shadow: 0px 1px 3px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.3);
-webkit-box-shadow: 0px 1px 3px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.3);

Sorry guys, but this clearly shows that CSS3 is still far from being a
"standard" and I still vote against it's use in a the backend.

But since you still seem to be willing to implement this (thus will be able
to get enough +1 for these features) I guess 2, 3 or 4 might be ways to go,
with 4 being my personal favorite, since we could setup a JS based solution
that would enable these features for any skin. So the designers could do all
the fancy CSS3 stuff, while the JS would take care to port it back whenever
possible. Additionally it could take care of the -moz and -webkit stuff as
well, so that the skin designer just has to write box-shadow,
while -moz-box-shadow AND -webkit-box-shadow would be magically applied.

Deal?

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de